Sunday, October 21, 2012

California


Death Valley National Park


Death Valley National Park was not on the "Bucket List". I simply thought there was nothing to see out there. Boy was I wrong.

Chris poses at Zabriskie Point, the first vista point we encountered.


Above are 2 panorama's of Zambriskie Point.


Old Dinah
In 1885 Borax was mined in Death Valley and hauled by wagon train pulled with 20 mules. The wagon train weighed 36.5 ton in total and the journey was 165 miles. It took 10 days. In 1894 a steam tractor called Old Dinah, above, replaced the 20 mule teams. 

Old poster from the day.

Remains of the Borax mine with the wagons behind.

View from the mine toward the car park.

The original wagons.

This is Badwater Basin, the lowest elevation in the USA. Whirlwinds pick up dust in the distance.

We were greeted along Badwater Road by this coyote. I have seen coyote's in the distance before but they are usually timid and run off. This dog stood there and posed for me. Note his beautiful, healthy fur. 


Natural Bridge

A walkway allows easy access to walk on the salt flats.

A view back from the walkway shows me how far below sea level I am. 





No comments: